What is Mastitis?
Mastitis is the infection which occurs to the breast tissue. Women who are breastfeeding are the most prone to this condition and it often happens in the first 3 months of breastfeeding. However, it does not mean it cannot occur anytime during the breastfeeding period. Also this lactation mastitis commonly happens on side of the breast and not both.
What cause Mastitis?
The reason for occurrence of mastitis is due to the blocked milk duct which makes the milk stuck inside the breast, causing infection.
Also it can be caused by bacteria which might penetrate into the breast through the crack on nipple.
What are the symptoms of Mastitis?
The most common symptoms can be pain in the breast, inflammation and swelling, tenderness and redness. Also you might get chills or fever as well as feel exhausted, thus unable to care for the babies.
In case, you are having mastitis, it is recommended that you keep on breastfeeding because it can help you clear out the infection. If you feel pain during the breastfeeding, you can opt for hand-expressing or pumping milk in order to prevent the clog of milk ducts.
The most recommended method from the home remedies for mastitis is none other than massage. It can effectively unclog the blocked milk ducts as well as alleviate the swelling. Remember to massage in the direction from outer breast to the nipple using small circular strokes. Also put some more pressure over the infected area.
- Put some wheat germ oil and apricot oil in equal amount together. Then use the oil to massage with upward strokes. Practice couples of time every day.
- Also you can put some camphor oil together with 2 tbsps of olive oil then use it to massage the breast for couples of time per day.
Note: Remember to cleanse the nipples using warm water before performing the breastfeeding process [Read more: Home Remedies for Stretch Marks].
2. Cold and Hot Compress
This treatment is considered one of the most incredible tips among the home remedies for mastitis. The cold will be able to alleviate the pain and swelling, while the hotness will help you remove blockage, improve circulation of blood and stimulate the flow of milk.
- Wrap the hot water bottle using a thin towel to make the hot compress.
- Wrap some cubes of ice using a thin towel to make the cold compress.
- Put the hot compress onto the breast for about 15 minutes.
- Then put the cold compress on for about 5 minutes.
- Practice both of them for 2 – 3 times and anytime if needed.
3. Cabbage Leaves
The sulfur compounds are the reason why cabbage leaves are highly regarded among the home remedies for mastitis. It can efficiently ease the infected and inflamed breast, thus alleviate swelling and inflammation effectively. Moreover, it can even help nursing mothers obtain relief from blocked ducts as well as engorgement.
- Put some leaves of cabbage into the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.
- Then put the chilled leaf onto the breast.
- After the leaf completely loses its cold, you can change for the new cold leaf.
- Practice couples of time every day.
The strong antibiotic effect from garlic are the most powerful on within the home remedies for mastitis. It can eliminate bacteria efficiently while improving immune system and accelerate the recovery.
- Ingest 2 cloves of raw garlic while the stomach is still empty. Also you can have some more during the day. In case, you do not prefer garlic, you can ingest it together with some water or even orange juice. Practice every day for 1 week.
- Also you can use the supplements of garlic but only after being advised by the doctor.
The antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects of the flavonoid from Echinacea are what make this herb a greatly beneficial herb within the home remedies for mastitis. It can efficiently boost up the immunity in order to fight off infections.
- Put some tincture of Echinacea onto the infected breast for 4 – 5 times per day. Remember to cleanse the nipple meticulously before performing the breastfeeding.
- Also you can put 3 – 4 drops of this tincture into some water. Ingest 3 – 4 times per day for 1 week.
Note: Do not use this herb in long term.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
You cannot leave apple cider vinegar out of the home remedies for mastitis because its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects are too valuable to neglect. It can help you alleviate inflammation quickly, protect you against infection and control the spreading. Additionally, it can boost up your energy as well.
- Put apple cider vinegar and water together with the ratio 1:2. Put that solution onot the infected breast using the cotton ball. Keep it on for about 15 minutes before washing off using warm water. Practice 2 – 3 times every day.
- Also you put a tbsp of apple cider vinegar with honey into some water. Ingest that solution for 3 times every day in 1 – 2 weeks.
7. Fenugreek Seed
This seed is the best within the home remedies for mastitis for stimulating the glands which produce milk while treating infection in breast. Furthermore, the flavonoids from fenugreek can help you alleviate infections and inflammation rather well.
- Put 4 tbsps of fenugreek seeds into water and soak overnight. Next morning, make the paste by grinding the soaked fenugreek seeds. Put the paste onto a cloth and heat it up using the microwave. Put the warm paste onto the infected breast. Practice twice every day for 1 – 2 weeks.
- Also you can ingest some fenugreek tea for 2 – 3 times per day.
8. Aloe Vera
The pain-relieving and healing effects from nature of Aloe Vera can help you relieve almost all of the discomfort from mastitis. Moreover, it can even restore the skin tissue which is damaged as well as revive the infected skin.
- Take out some gel from the leaf of Aloe Vera.
- Put the gel onto the infected breast.
- Let it dry out.
- Wash off using warm water and dry meticulously using soft towel.
- Practice couples of time per day in several days.
Note: Cleanse off the gel of Aloe Vera before performing the breastfeeding.
With antibacterial effect, calendula is also a good consideration among the home remedies for mastitis as it can greatly alleviate swelling and pain from the infection of breast.
- Create a paste from some comfrey leaves and calendula flowers. Heat up the paste and then put it onto the infected breast. Keep it on for about 15 minutes before washing off using warm water. Practice for 3 – 4 times every day.
- Also you can use the ointment from calendula to put onto the infected breast for couples of time every day.
Note: Remember to cleanse the nipple carefully using warm water before performing the breastfeeding.
10. Vitamin C
The last ingredient from the home remedies for mastitis is vitamin C. It is extremely essential for fighting off infection as well as healing the skin tissue which is damaged. Additionally, this vitamin can remarkably improve the immunity and accelerate the recovery.
- Ingest foods which are rich in vitamin C such as lemons, limes, oranges, kiwis, papaya, guava, strawberries, broccoli, mustard greens, kale and parsley.
- Also you can use supplements of vitamin C but only after being advised by the doctor.
Source: http://www.naturalnews.com  http://www.wnhs.health.wa.gov.au  https://authorityremedies.com
More by Jenny Heth
- Top 10 Natural Home Remedies for Ingrown Toenail
- Top 10 Natural Home Remedies for Vaginal Odor
- Top 10 Home Remedies for Staph Infection
- Top 15 Natural Home Remedies for Boils
- Top 15 Natural Home Remedies for Asthma
- 15 Natural Home Remedies for Acid Reflux