Dandelions are readily available and great for your health. Since all parts of the plant are edible, there are so many delicious ways to enjoy them. Recipes range from sweet desserts to savoury side dishes. There are even delicious drinks that can be made with this healthful common weed.
Reported health benefits of the dandelion are far reaching. They have many beneficial health properties including cleansing the liver, they are great for reducing acne, they have anti-cancer properties, and they reduce inflammation. On top of this they are full of vitamins and antioxidants.
Here are nine unique recipes to add dandelions to your diet.
Recipes For Dandelion Flowers
Cinnammon Flower Fritters
These are unique treats that look beautiful and taste like little gourmet donuts.
- 1 cup of dandelion flowers with stems removed
- 1 cup of flour (I use rice flour)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup of oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1 Tbs of powdered sugar (I use powdered coconut sugar)
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- Mix powdered sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Mix eggs and add washed dandelions flowers. Cover flowers with egg.
- Add oil to a frying pan on medium heat.
- Dip flowers into flour until fully coated and add to oil. Turn flowers regularly. Remove when all sides are golden brown.
- Sprinkle with the sugar/cinnamon mixture while they are still warm.
Dandilion Sunshine Jelly
This jelly has a strong yellow colour with a flavour reminiscent of honey. It looks great and tastes great too.
- 3 cups of dandelion flower petals
- 3 cup water
- 4 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 box of pectin
- Bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Add flower petals and let sit overnight.
- Strain liquid from petals. add pectin and lemon juice to liquid and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar and bring to a boil again. Let boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into sterilized jars.
Flower Infused Honey Syrup
Made with honey and dandelion flowers, this syrup has a bright yellow hue. With the unique flavour of dandelion flowers and a hint of lemon, this syrup is great served on pancakes or waffles for a summery alternative to maple syrup.
- 1 1/2 cups of dandelion flower petals
- 1 cups of water
- 3 cups of honey
- 1/2 of a lemon
- Add petals to the water and bring to a boil. Let boil for about a minute.
- Remove from heat. For a stronger dandelion taste, let this sit overnight.
- Strain petals out of the water and discard petals.
- Heat the dandelion petal water and add honey. Stir and let simmer until the syrup has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Add lemon juice to taste.
Recipes For Dandelion Leaves
Sauteed Garlic and Onion Dandelion Greens
This is a flavourful side dish that is fast and easy to make.
- 4 cups of dandelion greens
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
- butter (or oil of choice)
- Sauteed onions in butter on medium low heat until translucent.
- Add chopped garlic and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add greens, stirring until they start to wilt.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
Liver Cleanse Green Smoothie
This is a green smoothie with a strong taste. It is sweet with a clear aftertaste of bitter dandelion greens. Substitute some of the dandelions greens with spinach for a milder taste.
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cup dandelion greens
- 1 banana
- 1 chopped apple
- 1/2 blueberries
- Blend juice and greens until smooth.
- Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth.
Wildharvested Dandelion Pesto
This pesto has a stronger flavour than traditional basil pesto, yet is it just as refreshing added to pasta, sandwiches, or pizza.
- 2 cups dandelion greens
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of walnuts or pine nuts
- 2/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add greens, garlic, and nuts to food processor and blend until all ingredients are chopped.<
- Add oil and blend until smooth.
- Fold in the cheese and add salt and pepper.
Recipes For Dandelion Roots
Dandilion Taproot With Butter And Herbs
Pan fried dandelion roots with fresh herbs and butter make a very interesting, healthy, and delicious side dish.
- 2 cups of peeled dandelion roots
- oregano, sage, thyme, basil, or any of your favourite herbs
- Add butter and peeled dandelion roots to a frying pan and cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add herbs and continue cooking until tender.
Spiced Cowboy coffee
This is a wonderful coffee alternative that tastes like an earthy coffee crossed with a chai tea.
- 1 cup of dandelion roots
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 200°:.
- Throughly wash dandelion roots. Chop roots into pieces about 1 inch long or smaller and spread onto baking sheet.
- Roast in oven for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the roots to get dark brown.
- Remove from oven and grind roots in a coffee grinder, food processor, or blender.
- Return ground roots to oven and roast for another 5 or ten minutes.
- Mix in spices and brew as you would a regular coffee. Add milk and sweetener if you choose.
Liver Tonic Tea
This is a very easy tea to make. It has a great earthy taste.
- roots of two dandelions
- 2 cups of water
- Chop thoroughly washed roots.
- Add roots to boiling water and let simmer for at least 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain into a tea cup.
Sources for this article include:
(1) Simply Canning: Dandelion jelly tastes a bit like honey. , by Sharon Peterson
(2) Food Network: Basil Pesto