Part of what makes food so delicious and packed with flavor is the oils or butter it’s cooked in. Fried chicken is a popular staple in cultures all around the world. But fried, oily foods are dangerous because they have several unhealthy side effects.
They tend to be greasy, heavy and high in sodium and fats.
But there are great ways to capture that same delicious flavor without all the guilt. Here are four fun recipes to try that give you all flavor without any oil.
No Oil Fish Curry
Fish curry might already seem like an exotic choice but it can also be a great healthier option, too. This is also a nice option for non-meat eaters.
- 1 lb. Fresh, thawed white fish
- 1 cup tamarind juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. ground coconut
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. red chili powder
- ½ tsp. chopped ginger
- 2-3 Curry leaves
- Chop the fish into chunks and let it rest in the tamarind juice for about 3 minutes
- In a separate container, combine the turmeric powder with the coconut
- Place the fish into a warm pot and add the tomatoes, onions, turmeric powder mix, chilies and water
- While it simmers, add chili powder, turmeric and salt to taste before adding the curry leaves and ginger
- Bring to a boil and let cook for about 30 minutes
No-fry Onion Rings
This is a great option for those who don’t eat meat but still want to enjoy crunchy foods. It might seem hard to achieve that texture without frying but there are different methods. For example, air fryers use hot air to surround food and cook it like a normal fryer.
- Previously battered and frozen onion rings
- Place the battered onion rings into the frying basket of your air fryer.
- Using the available French fry setting, the onion rings should fry for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the fryer and toss the onions rings for even cooking.
- Return the onion rings to the fryer for ten more minutes (or until desired crispness).
- You can pair the rings with any sauce you like.
Stir Fry with Chicken and Asparagus
It might seem impossible to have a stir fry meal without any oil but this recipe proves otherwise. All you need is a Big Boss Oil-less fryer unit. This machine uses halogen lights and convection-based heat rather than oil to cook. While you can use olive oil for this recipe, it isn’t totally needed.
- 1 lb. cubed boneless chicken breast
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4-5 oz. sliced mushrooms
- ½ red onion, sliced
- About 10 asparagus spears, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 cup of white cooking wine
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- First, remove all the baskets and mesh from the fryer.
- Place onions, garlic and mushrooms into glass bowl and cook for 5 minutes at 375°F/191°
- Add the chicken and allow all the ingredients to cook for 15 minutes. While cooking chicken, combine cornstarch and water.
- Stir in white wine, asparagus and lemon juice and add to chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Salt to taste.
This is a delicious staple in Indian cuisine which is sometimes spicy but also dripping with oil. By removing the oil, you get a delicious, healthy option that has bold taste and isn’t your average chicken dish.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 whole lemon, cut in half
- 3 slices onions
- 3-4 cut chilies
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- In a bowl, combine lemon juice, onions and the chicken. Allow this to marinate for 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chilies, garlic, ginger, vinegar and spiced yogurt and pour it over the chicken.
- Cook the chicken for 20-25 minutes and until there is a thick coating from the yogurt mixture on the pan. Add salt to taste.
These are just a few ideas for oil and guilt-free recipes that can still be delicious, healthy and flavorful.