There are many articles about anti-inflammatory foods but do you know the most inflammatory foods? You see, anti-inflammatory foods won’t do much for you if you continue to eat inflammatory foods.
Below, are 14 highly inflammatory foods you should avoid.
1. Vegetable oils: Vegetable oils contain omega 6 fatty acids which are known to cause inflammation and increase risk of chronic diseases. Increasing intake of omega 3 fatty acids can help balance omega 6s ratio and reduce inflammation
2. Dairy products: Milk and other dairy products trigger inflammatory responses. Note that milk is hidden in different foods including bread, cereal, cookies and so on. And 60 percent of Americans can’t digest milk.
3. Sugar: Research has linked sugar to inflammation, obesity and chronic diseases. Avoid table sugar and foods with added sugar (80 percent of processed foods).
4. Processed meat: Processed meat has been reported to cause inflammation and increase risk of cancer.
5. Refined flour: Refined grains are low nutrients and have been linked to cancer, weight gain, and chronic diseases.
6. Alcohol: Prolonged intake of alcohol can cause chronic inflammation and increase risk of cancer.
7. Trans fats: These fats are found in deep fried foods and fast foods. Research shows they are strong pro-inflammatory agents.
8. Red meat: Just like processed meat, red meat and been proven to trigger inflammation. Meat from grain-fed animals is the worst.
9. Additives: Common additives like aspartame have been proven to be pro-inflammatory. Sodas, diet sodas, and energy drinks contain high amounts of additives.
10. Synthetic sweeteners: Research shows that artificial sweeteners increase risk of inflammation, and type 2 diabetes.
11. Gluten: Gluten ruins gut health and promotes inflammation. Avoid foods that contain wheat.
12. Agave: Agave is 90 percent sugar. It has been proven to cause inflammation, fast aging, and chronic diseases.
13. Peanuts: Peanuts have an inflammatory response in the body. Eat nuts in moderation or avoid them completely.
14. Iodized salt: It’s better to use unrefined salt since it contains lots of minerals. Iodized salt has been proven to cause inflammation.